Information Icon
Create an User Account or Sign In to add a Post or Comment.

When composing a song, does the melody come first, or the lyrics?

#composing

of 5
Adelynn Khoo

Is there a formula used by the many successful composers? You know, maybe writing the melody first is *easier*?

March 23, 2018 at 12:48pm
Goh Zensen

If you are talking about composer and lyricist being two different persons, then we have cases for both. However, by default, it is usually the composer penning the melody first, then the lyricist... See More

If you are talking about composer and lyricist being two different persons, then we have cases for both. However, by default, it is usually the composer penning the melody first, then the lyricist filling in the lyrics later.

March 26, 2018 at 8:03am
Gavin Koh

As Zensen said, "by default" the music comes first followed by lyrics. In the next Pianovers (#75 on 22nd Apr), I will be playing an exception, a song where the lyrics came first.

"When... See More

As Zensen said, "by default" the music comes first followed by lyrics. In the next Pianovers (#75 on 22nd Apr), I will be playing an exception, a song where the lyrics came first.

"When October Goes" had music composed by Barry Manilow only after the lyricist's widow sent Manilow the lyrics. Manilow set a lovely melancholy tune to what Johnny Mercer wrote (Mercer had died of a brain tumour diagnosed just months before) and the completed song was released as a single by Manilow (and it was quite a success).

Listen it on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Reiqwbo4b7Q or come to Pianovers #75 to listen!

April 14, 2018 at 6:55pm
Gavin Koh

In the case of "When October Goes":

"Setting the Mercer lyrics to music, Mr. Manilow discovered, was one of the easier tasks of his career. "The tunes came like that", he said snapping his... See More

In the case of "When October Goes":

"Setting the Mercer lyrics to music, Mr. Manilow discovered, was one of the easier tasks of his career. "The tunes came like that", he said snapping his fingers. "I struggle with the pop stuff till I bleed, but this stuff... like that." [Article ref link]

So, it could be easier to compose music around the lyrics after all. Maybe, you only need to connect with the lyrics, be inspired by them, and voilà!

April 14, 2018 at 3:18pm