Information Icon
Create an User Account or Sign In to add a Post or Comment.

Can playing by ear actually be learnt or is it something innate, i.e. either you have it or you don't. I've always thought that all pianists could play by ear (at least simple tunes on the simpler keys) but was amazed to find out that it wasn't so in my JC days.

#performing

of 27
Goh Zensen

Bing Shao, I think I'd missed your posts! Anyway it was great meeting you in person and we had a good chat on the play-by-ear methodology in greater depth!

November 2, 2017 at 8:36am
Gavin Koh

One thing that has helped greatly in improving my play by ear ability is to listen on Youtube hundreds of pieces that follow the score as a video. Now, when pieces are played, I start visualizing... See More

One thing that has helped greatly in improving my play by ear ability is to listen on Youtube hundreds of pieces that follow the score as a video. Now, when pieces are played, I start visualizing staves and notes and can more intuitively figure out how to play a piece just through listening.

November 2, 2017 at 11:18am
Gavin Koh

Oh yes, to answer your question. I don't think this is an innate ability unless your parents have been exposing you to music ever since you are in the womb. Then maybe you would be more accepting... See More

Oh yes, to answer your question. I don't think this is an innate ability unless your parents have been exposing you to music ever since you are in the womb. Then maybe you would be more accepting of music in life.

November 2, 2017 at 11:20am
Gavin Koh

Before I forget. There are quite a number of Ear Training software on the Android Play Store that may be of some use. I have used 'The Ear Gym', 'Functional Ear Trainer', and 'Perfect Ear' before... See More

Before I forget. There are quite a number of Ear Training software on the Android Play Store that may be of some use. I have used 'The Ear Gym', 'Functional Ear Trainer', and 'Perfect Ear' before. Quite simple but useful apps for training yourself to play by ear. I am pretty sure there are equivalent apps on iTunes too - like 'Play by Ear' and 'Ear for Life, Ear Training'

November 2, 2017 at 3:11pm