Information Icon
Create an User Account or Sign In to add a Post or Comment.

I got myself a used piano few months ago. Started learning a bit on my own. Still thinking if I should get a teacher to have formal lessons. Any self-taught pianists here? Any tips? I've tried some youtube videos for beginners, and also bought a couple of adult books. Still fumbling with reading the doh ray me.. haha.

#AdultBeginners

of 5
Linette Choo

Do you have any music apps to recommend for sight reading? Guess it's better to ask from someone who has been through, rather than ploughing through the apps in the store! ?

Thanks in... See More

Do you have any music apps to recommend for sight reading? Guess it's better to ask from someone who has been through, rather than ploughing through the apps in the store! ?

Thanks in advance.

February 11, 2019 at 11:12pm
Gavin Koh

Well, I have tried for fun non-paid versions like Sight Reading Trainer and Note Trainer Lite. There also paid versions, but never tried them. So, really it's up to you.

February 12, 2019 at 8:55am
Linette Choo

Hehe, of coz I'm trying the free ones first. After a day's work, I'm actually quite tired, and it's challenging to get myself to the piano.

Hope I can make it. *cross fingers*

February 13, 2019 at 1:22am
Tey Aik Han

I am new to this forum. Just want to share my experience as a self taught piano player ?
When I was about 7, I had piano lesson for less than a year. I quit before I took grade 1 exam... See More

I am new to this forum. Just want to share my experience as a self taught piano player ?
When I was about 7, I had piano lesson for less than a year. I quit before I took grade 1 exam because I found the elementary pieces to be too boring and and the teacher too fierce.
When I was 12, I heard my friend playing a Richard Clayderman piece, and I instantly wanted to learn that. Took me many months to start to learn reading notes again, and painstakingly memorize the note to be able to piece the melody together.
Till today, I self-taught every piano piece that I wanted to play, and I never find practicing boring as I did when I was learning formally from a teacher.
I guess what I am trying to say is that I think the motivation of wanting to learn a song I like is a lot stronger than trying to learn piano steps by steps, hence maybe to put your aim on learning a piece that you like regardless of grades may help to push you harder.
Having said that, not having a proper musical education means that you may miss out on many technical skills requires to perform advance pieces properly. (I found it out the hard way) Therefore I think it is important to decide if you are playing for yourself or for others... if you just want to please yourself, YouTube tutorial and bashing through the notes is sufficient for you to learn the song you like.

May 16, 2019 at 3:56pm