Information Icon
Create an User Account or Sign In to add a Post or Comment.

Do you think there will be an impact on technique/playing/dynamics if most (70%) of the weekday practice is done with the muted pedal (middle pedal) on the upright? Reason for that is because the practices can only start from 9:30 pm or later.

#general

of 3
Liew Soo Hin

90% confident that it will have a negative impact. A lot of learning comes from the ability to feel the keys/hammer, and to control how much / fast to strike them. Your reactions / responses are... See More

90% confident that it will have a negative impact. A lot of learning comes from the ability to feel the keys/hammer, and to control how much / fast to strike them. Your reactions / responses are according to what you heard, and you train your muscles memory based on these. Unless the training is purely for getting notes right, at the stage where expression doesn't matter, and just accuracy matters.

July 2, 2018 at 8:39pm
Yoke Ping

Albert and Soo Hin, thanks for sharing your thoughts! I have the inkling that the current situation is not ideal but unfortunately, it is unlikely to change. I love my upright and would like to... See More

Albert and Soo Hin, thanks for sharing your thoughts! I have the inkling that the current situation is not ideal but unfortunately, it is unlikely to change. I love my upright and would like to keep it in its original form. :)

Will keep the muted practice for getting the notes right or for loud passages. I agree that the softer/more delicate passages should not be practiced with the muted pedal at the first instance. If the passages are meant to be soft, I think it is still ok to practice without the muted pedal even at 10+ pm or 11 pm. :p

July 4, 2018 at 8:44pm
Liew Soo Hin

Definitely a challenge for you, if you can only practice in the late night. Unless you fix your room to be sound-proof!

July 5, 2018 at 1:29pm