Information Icon
Create an User Account or Sign In to add a Post or Comment.

Should I buy digital or normal piano to start learning piano? Should I get one or just play at school or teacher's place? Any advice? Thanks.

#AdultBeginners

of 9
Linette Choo

Wow, thanks Zensen! That's very comprehensive. ?? I have mixed feelings la. For me, it's good to start playing casually. But if I can progress well (god knows), might as well take some exams to... See More

Wow, thanks Zensen! That's very comprehensive. ?? I have mixed feelings la. For me, it's good to start playing casually. But if I can progress well (god knows), might as well take some exams to prove something? Definitely not to become concert pianist like you mentioned. I'm working, so, being able to play at night is a big deal to me, cos that's the time I probably can practise (I hope so!) ?

June 23, 2018 at 2:09am
Goh Zensen

That being the case, I'd recommend that you start small by buying a digital piano. If space or mobility isn't a constraint for you, I'd recommend a full-fledged one with 88 keys. Depending on your... See More

That being the case, I'd recommend that you start small by buying a digital piano. If space or mobility isn't a constraint for you, I'd recommend a full-fledged one with 88 keys. Depending on your budget, a high-end one costs S$2,699 while an entry-level one costs S$700. Mid-range will be around S$1,699. But if you are space-conscious and prefer it to be more mobile (so that it can be moved around easily), then I have a 76-key version ($400+) and a 61-version (also $400+) to recommend for you. If you are ultra-budget conscious, it will be $269.

June 23, 2018 at 8:19pm
Linette Choo

Ya, I think I'd go with a really cheap one at the start. Just gonna start learning, don't think I'll need that many keys. 61 keys sounds a lot to me already. Lol.

June 27, 2018 at 11:46am
Goh Zensen

61 keys (5 octaves) is really the minimum you should start with. This is because any shorter (e.g. 49 keys, 4 octaves) won't allow you to play it with both hands (meaning right hand on melody and... See More

61 keys (5 octaves) is really the minimum you should start with. This is because any shorter (e.g. 49 keys, 4 octaves) won't allow you to play it with both hands (meaning right hand on melody and left hand on bass and chords). Also, you'd need to look for a model that has touch response/touch sensitivity. This is because some very cheap ones don't come with this, thus no matter how soft or hard you strike the keys, the volume/loudness is the same, which makes the music you play sound monotonous/robotic/expressionless!

June 28, 2018 at 7:26am