Information Icon
Create an User Account or Sign In to add a Post or Comment.

Happy Birthday in the style of Chopin!

Improvised by Edoardo Brotto
Transcribed by Alexander Norden
Revised and approved by Edoardo Brotto

#PianoPieces

of 18
Goh Zensen

Haha, cos many of Chopin's works (both his piano concertos, his Ballade No 1, Waltzes in Bm, Am, C#m and Nocturne in C#m) are in the minor key!

June 28, 2018 at 7:24am
Liew Soo Hin

Ah, nice improvisation there, Zensen. I don't have a flair for improv.

July 2, 2018 at 8:40pm
Mabel Ong

Sorry, what's improvisation? ?

July 20, 2018 at 9:33pm
Goh Zensen

Mabel, improvisation in music is a huge topic which I can conduct an hour-long talk on it. To summarise, it is to make variations to the original music (instead of adhering strictly to its... See More

Mabel, improvisation in music is a huge topic which I can conduct an hour-long talk on it. To summarise, it is to make variations to the original music (instead of adhering strictly to its original score) via a few means. For example, one way of improvisation is to substitute some of the chords used (or even adding new chords in between existing chords). Another way is to play out the chords differently (e.g. from broken chord style to rhythmic style). Adding or changing other textures/layers such as counter melodies and bass lines also constitute improvisation.

Some singers or solo instrumentalists improvise on the melody by changing some of the notes occasionally. Jazz improvisation, on the other hand, allows complete composition of melodic lines along the original music's chord progression.

More advanced improvisations can include addition of new sections (such as adding/replacing an original interlude), employing modulations and change in rhythm/time signature.

July 21, 2018 at 12:17am