Information Icon
Create an User Account or Sign In to add a Post or Comment.

Awkward situation for a pianist #1 - What would you do if you, the pianist, attended a recital all ready to play K.467 and was caught off guard by the starting bars of K.466? Luckily, it was only a lunchtime concert (a rehearsal for the evening concert) for Maria Joao Pires. But, more luckily for her, Maria had played K.466 before and she easily switched gears to play the required piece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v... See More

Awkward situation for a pianist #1 - What would you do if you, the pianist, attended a recital all ready to play K.467 and was caught off guard by the starting bars of K.466? Luckily, it was only a lunchtime concert (a rehearsal for the evening concert) for Maria Joao Pires. But, more luckily for her, Maria had played K.466 before and she easily switched gears to play the required piece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n89F9YKPNOg

#events #concerts

of 7
Mabel Ong

Woah, that will be a lot to memorise! I'm still struggling with just one or two pages! Kudos to her!

April 18, 2018 at 1:18pm
Gavin Koh

Yes, memorizing is a pain for pianists everywhere. The best I have memorized is a single piece at a time. And nowadays, I just prefer sight reading on the spot, although you can't do that with... See More

Yes, memorizing is a pain for pianists everywhere. The best I have memorized is a single piece at a time. And nowadays, I just prefer sight reading on the spot, although you can't do that with very fast pieces.

April 18, 2018 at 1:25pm
Carlyn Ng

piano teachers should be able to sight read even faster pieces?

April 21, 2018 at 9:33pm
Gavin Koh

I should think so. If you get your hands on a piece that reads greater than Allegro (eg. Vivace, Presto, and Prestissimo, etc.), you're at least going to do some music speed reading - be aware of... See More

I should think so. If you get your hands on a piece that reads greater than Allegro (eg. Vivace, Presto, and Prestissimo, etc.), you're at least going to do some music speed reading - be aware of the key and signature, glance through the score to ferret out difficult passages, note all changes to key and signature, repeats, dynamics and other special ornamentation. After that, you could theoretically play the piece at a fast enough rate on the first go, and aim to pick up speed after acclimatizing yourself to the piece.

The pain is always memorizing the piece for a performance; well, rote learning helps.

April 21, 2018 at 11:54pm