Information Icon
Create an User Account or Sign In to add a Post or Comment.

Thank you, Tea Zhi Yuan, for your contribution of this article.

"One instrumental development in Beethoven’s reign was the development of piano music and hence, the development of his piano sonatas. It is in my opinion that it is in these 32 that we see a beautiful series, each sonata carrying a crucial role in the evolution of music. And if we ever compare the 1st and 32nd sonata he wrote, it would seem that 2 different people have composed them."

... See More

Thank you, Tea Zhi Yuan, for your contribution of this article.

"One instrumental development in Beethoven’s reign was the development of piano music and hence, the development of his piano sonatas. It is in my opinion that it is in these 32 that we see a beautiful series, each sonata carrying a crucial role in the evolution of music. And if we ever compare the 1st and 32nd sonata he wrote, it would seem that 2 different people have composed them."

#PianoPieces

of 8
Liew Soo Hin

My personal favourite is Sonata No. 17 in D minor, the 3rd movement. Simple motif but engaging.

February 12, 2018 at 1:13pm
Tea Zhi Yuan

Hi Soo Hin. Thank you for your reply. Yes, it is a simple and engaging motif and i believe that would be the tempest sonata. Ah, but unfortunately, I do have some prejudice or I guess "some beef"... See More

Hi Soo Hin. Thank you for your reply. Yes, it is a simple and engaging motif and i believe that would be the tempest sonata. Ah, but unfortunately, I do have some prejudice or I guess "some beef" with that particular sonata (which explains why I didnt include it in any of the articles). But we have own preferences and the right to preference (some say that my personal favourite sonata, the Appasionata and particularly the 3rd movement sounds like a mouthful of notes that is not constructive, and I thought this should be applied to Liszt).

February 13, 2018 at 7:29pm
Liew Soo Hin

Zhi Yuan, we are all open to discussions. ? Would you like to share why you have "some beef" with Tempest?

February 18, 2018 at 12:21pm
Tea Zhi Yuan

Hi Soo Hin. I think it for that sonata, i feel it is just a mouthful of notes especially so for the development of the 3rd movement, a style that is evident in most of his middle sonatas. All of a... See More

Hi Soo Hin. I think it for that sonata, i feel it is just a mouthful of notes especially so for the development of the 3rd movement, a style that is evident in most of his middle sonatas. All of a sudden everything sounds unconstructive. Yeah... i dont think its the best thing he has written and i dont particularly enjoy pieces with the same characteristic (Hint Hint Liszt Sonata)

February 22, 2018 at 12:42pm