Information Icon
Create an User Account or Sign In to add a Post or Comment.

How would one start off as a piano teacher? I am guessing the hardest bit would be to find yourself students who are willing to give you a try. How should one go about that? Or it would it better to join a school and work for them to get experience?

#teacher

of 9
Goh Zensen

Exactly. It thus takes a fundamental shift in societal values and perceptions, just like our government is taking pains to change parents' mindset on what defines "success" - it is no longer good... See More

Exactly. It thus takes a fundamental shift in societal values and perceptions, just like our government is taking pains to change parents' mindset on what defines "success" - it is no longer good grades entering top schools, then top universities, then becoming doctors or lawyers earning big bucks.

In some of my articles, I wrote about certifications being essential for doctors and engineers because we can't afford being prescribed wrong medication, or living in houses that might collapse anytime. But what is the inherent risk in music, which is largely about appreciation and enjoyment?

November 24, 2017 at 9:05am
Goh Zensen

I think I mentioned somewhere else that ABRSM is also applauded for having "moved with the times". Recognising that several seasoned practicing pop musicians would look absurd in making them go... See More

I think I mentioned somewhere else that ABRSM is also applauded for having "moved with the times". Recognising that several seasoned practicing pop musicians would look absurd in making them go through their graded exams, they now confer them with their credentials (bearing the ABRMS logo) in the form of open-ended certificates. That is, instead of showing Grade 8 or something, they pen a paragraph on their musicianship and mastery after witnessing their demonstration of skills.

November 24, 2017 at 9:10am
Goh Zensen

Soh Hin, did you know that in the past (just a few years ago), teachers who were graduates were placed on a higher salary scale (almost doubles that of non-graduates') but of late, even non-... See More

Soh Hin, did you know that in the past (just a few years ago), teachers who were graduates were placed on a higher salary scale (almost doubles that of non-graduates') but of late, even non-graduates can be placed on the graduate's scale directly?

There have also been several case studies whereby employers chose Polytechnic graduands over University graduates with straight As (over the same job position) because they found the former more creative, resilient and industrial-based while the latter was only exam-smart and theoretical?

Explaining now why govt schools in Singapore is taking a different slant - they no longer over-emphasize academic achievements but holistic development (many facets not measurable by tests).

November 24, 2017 at 9:17am
Goh Zensen

ABRSM certs thus are not stated as 'basic requirements'. In many cases, criteria mentioned are: "ABRSM Grade XXX OR equivalent credentials or field experiences, etc......" This is because they... See More

ABRSM certs thus are not stated as 'basic requirements'. In many cases, criteria mentioned are: "ABRSM Grade XXX OR equivalent credentials or field experiences, etc......" This is because they know that a large proportion of candidates with ABRSM graded certifications have been gotten because of drills and theoretical understanding of music. Many don't understand music per se, and neither can they apply music principles flexibly via improvisations, re-arrangements, etc.

November 24, 2017 at 9:21am