Information Icon
Create an User Account or Sign In to add a Post or Comment.

My son is in P2 this year. He takes piano lessons at home, now Grade 1. Is it advisable to take piano exam every year?

#exam

of 10
Mabel Ong

Susan, exams shouldn't be the primary goal his lessons should revolve around. Building passion/interest should take priority. Exams kinda by-the-way. And I'm not advocating totally no exams either... See More

Susan, exams shouldn't be the primary goal his lessons should revolve around. Building passion/interest should take priority. Exams kinda by-the-way. And I'm not advocating totally no exams either - definitely got plus points to take exams. ?

November 7, 2017 at 11:16am
Susan Teo

Thanks Mabel. I'm the typical parent who sees other kids seemingly learning so fast, and I'm worried my son is "losing out". Hard to shake this kiasu-ism. So, I'm struggling within.

November 7, 2017 at 12:18pm
Gavin Koh

I agree fully that what counts most is to develop passion. With a capital P.

In fact, most of the best pianists are self-taught! So this website says:... See More

I agree fully that what counts most is to develop passion. With a capital P.

In fact, most of the best pianists are self-taught! So this website says: https://pianologist.com/our-thoughts/self-taught/

And there are examples of pianists with little to no formal training who play professionally. Take for example: https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2015/07/the-self-taught-french-pianist-who...

November 7, 2017 at 2:46pm
Susan Teo

Gavin, I visited the 1st link you wrote. Thought it was a bold statement by just one person. While there are examples of good pianists who are self taught, I would be interested to know the % of... See More

Gavin, I visited the 1st link you wrote. Thought it was a bold statement by just one person. While there are examples of good pianists who are self taught, I would be interested to know the % of good pianists from the group who are self taught.

That said, I don't expect my son to be the best pianist (although it's a bonus if he can), but I would want him to enjoy and progress positively. ?

November 7, 2017 at 8:53pm