Information Icon
Create an User Account or Sign In to add a Post or Comment.

Let's discuss another highly divided topic in Music Aesthetics. In order for a piece of music to be regarded as highly aesthetic/beautiful (好听/优美 in Chinese), does it need to be infusing advanced music concepts or elements (please note that it isn't about being technically challenging such as having to run very fast passages, etc.), such as the use of advanced chords (over and above the basic ones), the deployment of good modulations and counterpoints, or the utilization of sophisticated... See More

Let's discuss another highly divided topic in Music Aesthetics. In order for a piece of music to be regarded as highly aesthetic/beautiful (好听/优美 in Chinese), does it need to be infusing advanced music concepts or elements (please note that it isn't about being technically challenging such as having to run very fast passages, etc.), such as the use of advanced chords (over and above the basic ones), the deployment of good modulations and counterpoints, or the utilization of sophisticated rhythms?

In other words, can very simple pieces (say only using three basic chords like I, IV & V) using the straightforward diatonic scale (and 4/4 time signature) without having any modulations can sound as nice and superior as those above?

#MusicAesthetics

of 2
Tea Zhi Yuan

Hi Zensen:) Really enjoyed your post. My own belief is that simplicity is its own beauty and and piece (or song) doesnt require all the complex rhythms, not-so-commonly-used chords etc etc. I seem... See More

Hi Zensen:) Really enjoyed your post. My own belief is that simplicity is its own beauty and and piece (or song) doesnt require all the complex rhythms, not-so-commonly-used chords etc etc. I seem to prefer a clear, "pure", and accessible melodic line and accompaniment rather than one with complex devices. I think that a perfect example of "simple yet beautiful" music is Mozart's music. The melodic lines of his works are clear and accessible (for sure) but yet this is something alluring in his music to the point it almost mysterious! Allow me to quote pianost Artur Schnabel who once explaimed:" Mozart's sonatas are too easy for children, too difficult for (serious) artists"

April 30, 2017 at 6:26pm
Goh Zensen

Hi Zhi Yuan, I'm glad to hear your viewpoints on this! Proponents of your school of thought also cite traditional folk music which are so simple and yet so beautiful! For example, who doesn't like... See More

Hi Zhi Yuan, I'm glad to hear your viewpoints on this! Proponents of your school of thought also cite traditional folk music which are so simple and yet so beautiful! For example, who doesn't like Home on the Range?

May 1, 2017 at 12:49am