Information Icon
Create an User Account or Sign In to add a Post or Comment.

As a piano newbie and novice, i learned piano by myself. I usually play by ears and memorization. Recently i play some songs and recorded it. i realised certain part of the songs the speed(Tempo) is not ideal. It could be a bit too fast or slow and as a result sounds a little bit messy. How do your play a song in an ideal speed (Tempo) and "Control" the whole songs seems like a hard skills to master. Any thoughts?

#... See More

As a piano newbie and novice, i learned piano by myself. I usually play by ears and memorization. Recently i play some songs and recorded it. i realised certain part of the songs the speed(Tempo) is not ideal. It could be a bit too fast or slow and as a result sounds a little bit messy. How do your play a song in an ideal speed (Tempo) and "Control" the whole songs seems like a hard skills to master. Any thoughts?

#AdultBeginners

of 6
Corrine Ying

How about adding some percussion (like a steady drum beat) to your playing if you're using a digital piano? Learners of classical music usually use a metronome to help control the tempo.

April 14, 2017 at 10:27pm
Sng Yong Meng

That's a nice suggestion for someone using the digital piano, since the percussion becomes an actual accompaniment to his playing.

At least, it is not as monotonous as a metronome for... See More

That's a nice suggestion for someone using the digital piano, since the percussion becomes an actual accompaniment to his playing.

At least, it is not as monotonous as a metronome for those playing on the acoustic piano, where the metronome has no musical participation, and it's purely for keeping the tempo in check.

April 14, 2017 at 10:42pm
Gan Theng Beng

Thanks for the insights and ideas. I am currently using acoustic upright piano. I also think that when you play the piano your mind need be calm and at peace and most likely you will get the '... See More

Thanks for the insights and ideas. I am currently using acoustic upright piano. I also think that when you play the piano your mind need be calm and at peace and most likely you will get the 'right' tempo.

April 15, 2017 at 12:11pm
Corrine Ying

There are apps that can provide different kinds of drum beats in varying speeds to accompany your playing. So it doesn't have to be a boring metronome beat.

Yes Theng Beng, when we are... See More

There are apps that can provide different kinds of drum beats in varying speeds to accompany your playing. So it doesn't have to be a boring metronome beat.

Yes Theng Beng, when we are nervous, our hearts beat faster and we tend to play faster.

April 15, 2017 at 9:07pm