A rare treat for piano lovers!
Renowned Thai composer-pianist Nat Yontararak’s debut recital in Singapore will be the first such concert dedicated exclusively to contemporary Thai music for the piano, many of which will be making their Singapore premiere.
Audiences will be treated to movements from Yontararak’s piano sonatas which are based on traditional Thai folk melodies. Highlights of the concert will also include Yontararak’s own arrangements of the late King Bhumibol’s attractive and melodious “Love in Spring” (ลมหนาว) and “Somewhere, Somehow” (ฝัน), as well as performances by traditional Thai dancers, who will accompany Yontararak in some of the works. Yontararak will be performing on Steinway and Sons’ latest piano SPIRIO|r, the world’s finest high-resolution player piano capable of live performance capture and playback, which will be launched at the concert.
The concert will culminate in a performance of an 8-hand piece by the Yontararak family on Steinway and Sons’ SPIRIO|r .
Pioneering Pianists of Southeast Asia
An initiative of Steinway Gallery Singapore, Pioneering Pianists of Southeast Asia is a new concert series and platform that celebrates the legacy of a generation of pianists who has established a cultural identity and presence of the region in the international scene through the latest developments in piano technology.
- Thai Traditional piece: "Kai Kaew" ไก่แก้ว (Crystal pheasant)
- HM King Rama IX: "Love in Spring" (ลมหนาว)
- Nat Yontararak: Piano Sonata No.1 "Glory to our Great Kings"
- 4th movement ฑีฆายุโก โหตุ มหาราชา (Allegro ma non troppo)
- HM King Rama IX: "Somewhere Somehow" (ฝัน)
- Nat Yontararak: Suite for piano and percussion "The Prodigal Son", 1st movement (Moderato) (บุตรน้อยหลงหาย)
- M.L. Puangroi Abhaiwongse: "Bua Kao" (White Lotus)* (บัวขาว)
- Nat Yontararak: Piano Sonata No. 3 "Siam Sonata"
- 4th movement "The South" (ภาคใต้) (Allegro tempestoso)
- Gen. Prem Tinsulanonda: "Born in Gratitude to Our Homeland" (piano duet)* (เกิดมาต้องตอบแทนบุญคุณแผ่นดิน)